SOCIAL MEDIA

Tuesday, January 23, 2018

I CUT MY OWN HAIR

Y'all...it is about 4 in the morning here in LA, and I just did something crazy!!! And I am SO happy with it.

Nota bene: it is a weave.

Backstory: I first started wanting a wavy lob (long bob) this past June, simply because I thought the style was really cute and different from anything I'd ever done before. There were several obstacles in the way of this happening. Namely, the fact that my real hair is super curly, and my parents (especially my dad) were adamantly against me cutting it.

That wasn't a huge problem though. One of the many wonderful things about being a black girl is that we can do so MANY things with our hair. Natural one month, braids the next...our hair is very versatile. So I tried a couple of hairdos, hoping to get what I wanted, but I was basically never satisfied. I decided to put that desire by the wayside and try some other hairstyles.

As the holidays rolled around, I decided to get a long, wavy crochet weave, and I took that style back to school. It looked really good and I liked it, but as the weeks went by, the ends started getting knotted and straightening, and I wasn't super satisfied with the way it looked.

Fast forward to this morning. I was having a hard time sleeping, and I woke up at around 2:30am. I decided, randomly, to look up "how to cut your own hair" on YouTube. I found a good tutorial, found some scissors, went to the mirror...and voilĂ ! I was amazed when I saw the result--it was the style that I had wanted all those months ago!

I was so excited that, like a true millennial, I just HAD to post about it on social media, haha.

The whole experience does have me thinking, though. I liked this hair when it was long, and it didn't cause me any real problems. Certainly I have much bigger concerns in life than some knots in my hair! But after taking 15 minutes to cut off some extra inches, I feel SO much happier with my hair. Had I never dared to try it, had I never taken that shot, I wouldn't have the style that I've wanted for the past six months.

There are a lot of opportunities in my life right now that are like that. It won't ruin my life by any stretch if I decide not to take them, but it'll make my life that much better if I do. And there are risks involved, definitely. (There are so many ways my haircut could've gone wrong!) But no good opportunity comes without a little risk.

Just don't ask me to do a big chop.

No comments :

Post a Comment